Authors, Entrepreneurs, and other Creative Individuals Pursuing Their Dreams
Not so long ago I came across a ribbon I’d won a bazillion years ago on Field Day when I was in Jr High. It’s a yellow ribbon, which means I won FIFTH place competing in a sport that I obviously wasn’t very good at. I can only imagine I kept this not so impressive reminder because I love the color yellow. Or I’m a masochist. Or maybe I thought if I kept it pressed in a book long enough it would eventually turn blue. It didn’t.
I hope this means I’m not much of a sore loser. That while I might aspire for FIRST, I can still appreciate FIFTH, (even as I hope that when we “go to the video tape” it will show that I actually won by a toe, and that fifth place straggler was just some limp-along wearing similar gym shorts.)
Winning isn’t essential, it isn’t the be-all-end-all, but still, it’s nice. Really nice.
Nice in a way that makes your cheeks glow, your eyes shine, and your head lift
swell when one of your VERY favorite bloggers nominates you for the coveted *Versatile Blogger Award*. Uh hum, that would be correct. I’m talking about Elaine Smothers at Wonder in the Wild. If you haven’t been over to Elaine’s place, you must take the fastest train, plane, or automobile and get on over there. Or you can always just click on the handy dandy link here Because once you meet Elaine and Forrest you’ll want to pull up a chair and just stay a while.
I thank you, Elaine, most humbly and appreciatively for this Blue Ribbon Honor. Honestly, but my heart is shining– full to bursting.
And now for the fine print, as there are certain rules one must follow to accept the nomination.
1. As a teenager I was wildly, madly, passionately in love with Robert Redford. My good friend Tina gifted me with a FULL LENGTH poster of my golden heartthrob that hung on the wall across from my bed assuring his was the first and last face I saw every morning and night for YEARS.
And all is blissful and flowery for someone so willing to pretend
crush, destroy, lock in the vaultaway the rather disturbing fact that this magnificent specimen is in reality THE VERY SAME AGE AS MY DAD!
2. I love clothes. Vintage, classic, funky bohemian…love my glad rags! And I compulsively clean out my closets (Yes, that’s correct, multiple closets, since one clearly won’t do the job,) in order to keep my threads tidy and organized. Occasional writers block even allows me time now and again to color coordinate said garments
3. Despite having multiple collections of stuff: Depression glass, vintage clothes, old jewelry, garden sculpture, typewriters, pens, etc…. I HATE clutter and disorganization, which means continuous sorting, arranging, removal. (Yes, I know, “Sick minds….”)
4. My family doesn’t think I know that they have not so discreetly nicknamed me The Food Nazi.
I care deeply
am obsessed with all the crappy worthless garbage being passed as nutrition on the grocery shelves and dished up in our homes. That’s not so say I never eat a Hershey bar, but I have this idea that if I treat my body really well and fill with High Test Fuel on a regular basis, it will return the favor by hauling me around in relative comfort until “Day is done.”
5. Despite multiple knee-scraping, butt bruising, embarrassing crash and burn, dirt eating wipe-outs over a span of months, I can now cruise around on my in-line-skates without mishap. And this makes me happy. Really really happy. Not only because I have
mostly conquered my anxiety of broken bones and road burn, but I’ve again verified to myself that I’m not a quitter very sensible.
6. I think Zombies are stupid.
7. Even when it makes no logical sense to keep standing on the tracks when I see the train hurtling toward me at an alarming speed, I remain wildly optimistic and hopeful that it will derail before impact. Pessimism annoys me probably as much as I annoy most pessimists.
You may now sigh with relief that this ever fabulous nomination only requires 7 random facts about moi. But now it’s your turn. Care to share your own random fact? We’d all love a glimpse behind your shades. So kindly do share